Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Glimpse

I don't live in New York. I work there, and I try to see what I can, but I don't live in New York, not even in spirit. A fact most plainly exemplified by the reactions of New Yorkers upon learning where I live: either their eyes open wide and their mouths form donuts in shock at how far away I live, or they continue to look dumbfounded, unsure where Edison, NJ even is. This past weekend, I caught a glimpse of how the other half, the true New Yorkers live, and it has allowed me to dream.

Coming in Saturday just after lunch, I met some college friends visiting the city for the weekend. We rented bikes and coasted along the Hudson, riding from 56th st all the way to The Battery. We passed cruise ships and air craft carriers, party piers and parks. To our left whizzed landmark after landmark. First the Empire State Building, next the Chelsea Highline, then the World Trade Center sight. Finally Lady Liberty came into view, and if we'd continued, we'd have seen the Brooklyn Bridge. Quite a nice day, but hardly the part that makes me jealous.
We returned to a friends apartment on the upper east side, blocks from the subway, but miles closer than I am. From there we walked around the corner to a BBQ shop for dinner, which is rumored to be owned by Justin Timberlake himself (he wasn't there, so I couldn't ask him). Completing our dinner, we hoped in a cap, whipped through Central Park to Hell's Kitchen, and another friends apartment, for drinks and a visit to a hip basement bar nearby. I eventually retreated to the safety and comfort of my own bed in the suburbs, but couldn't help feel jealous of people who could walk to and from work without needing a 60 gallon pack.

First thing the next morning I was back on the train into the city, meeting other friends for brunch by Union Square. On the walk from Penn Station to the restaurant, I stumbled upon a great Tea Store, a delicious looking Fried Chicken Joint, a hip Plate and Glassware store, a public exhibition of sculptures by leading architects, and the colorful characters of the lower fashion district. Although I had to return home after brunch, others went to a beer garden in Queens. A Beer garden in New York, is there anything this city doesn't have? And that's just what I found in a few hours before lunch!

Yet the largest draw is likely the people. Everyone dreams of visiting New York. People from other countries come here, my Irish cousins came here, my Spanish exchange student in High School came here, my girlfriends classmates from Australia came here. New York is where the action is. It's happening, its where people want to be.

New Jersey is not. Nobody wants to go to Jersey. If it wasn't for my lovely girlfriend and my comfortable apartment (both of which could someday move to the city) I wouldn't want to go to Jersey. Thankfully my girlfriends company (coupled with Netflix and a Wii) make life good. Just not as exciting as New York. So for now, I'll have to make do with the glimpses that I get,

No comments:

Post a Comment